Dear Friend of the Watershed,
Please join us in protecting, preserving and restoring the Indian Creek and greater Youghiogheny River watersheds. Your donation to the Mountain Watershed Association, home of the Youghiogheny Riverkeeper, is one of the most powerful means to support these efforts. We conduct on-the-ground restoration while acting as an advocate around local, regional, and national issues that have a local impact. Please invest in the future of your community with a tax-deductible donation today.
As you know this has been a very exciting summer for the Indian Creek Valley Trail and MWA. The Gorge section of the trail was completed and celebrated with a ribbon cutting ceremony. This achievement has been four years in the making. Now that we have reached the Youghiogheny, the next goal is to cross the Yough and connect the trail to the Great Allegheny Passage. This crossing is a huge challenge that will be met with great enthusiasm. Your past investment in the area and our work has enabled MWA to:
- Restore miles of the Indian Creek Watershed, turning impaired waters into unimpaired streams, habitat for fish;
- Expand the Indian Creek Valley Trail with a 4.3 mile section through the Indian Creek Gorge, one of the most beautiful areas in Pennsylvania;
- Continue to conduct weekly E. coli testing at popular swimming locations around the watershed so you know where it is safe to splash, swim or paddle. Find data on our website, at theswimguide.org, or subscribe to text alerts by texting “YoughSwimmableWaters” to 84483;
- Secure funding to refurbish the Gallentine Mine Drainage Treatment system;
- Continue exploring methods to treat the high-in-aluminum toxic discharge at the Rondell-Correal site;
- Pursue important policy work around issues of abandoned and active mining, increase in development of single-use plastics, and the economics of the value of water in the Laurel Highlands. We provide an important local, rural perspective on relevant national issues.
- Partner with local citizen’s group Protect Elizabeth Township to oppose a gas-fired power plant along the Yough in Allegheny County. The company is on its fourth run at the zoning board being unsuccessful the first three times.
- Expand the Yough Defense Party scheduled for November 21th to raise awareness of the amazing amenity—the Youghiogheny River; and
- Continue efforts to support our community quality of life and restore the Indian Creek Watershed to a viable, healthy habitat.
Beverly Braverman, Executive Director
Jerry Gearhart, Co-President Board of Directors
Jeri Lowe, Co-President Board of Directors
[button link=”https://co.clickandpledge.com/advanced/default.aspx?wid=115056″ color=”lightblue” newwindow=”yes”] Donate Today[/button]