We are currently accepting resumes for a full-time Community Advocate. Applicants must possess a Juris Doctor Degree with a certificate or experience in environmental and land use law, be willing to litigate, be enthusiastic and motivated self-starters, and be outgoing and able to work with diverse groups of people. Ability to communicate well verbally and in writing is critical. The position will work with our Marcellus Citizen Stewardship Project (MCSP) which seeks to develop community leadership through outreach, assessment, and monitoring activities and by providing assistance to citizens in areas where shale gas development is occurring.
- Provide policy analysis on items including but not limited to the DEP water testing policy, the statewide moratorium push, and Act 13; relate this analysis to Community Leaders so that they may more effectively target their resources through appropriate public participation
- Respond to citizen concerns by providing legal resources, answering technical questions regarding leasing documentation, water testing procedures, land use, and the permitting process.
- Prepare and participate in litigation when necessary.
- Conduct permit reviews in order to identify concerns and threats and in order to facilitate the location of our Monitoring Marcellus sites; provide Community Leaders with assistance in reviewing permits in their areas.
- Provide training in monitoring shale gas permits.
- Provide water quality interpretation including that found in permit files, citizen water tests and agency water quality monitoring
- Organize and attend meetings with legislators, municipal officials, and other elected officials on behalf of MWA and in conjunction with Community Leaders
- Draft and circulate sample ordinances in order to propose better protections for communities and the environment
- Prepare public comments for hearings, permit reviews, and other public participation opportunities, and assist Community Leaders in doing the same
- File complaints with agencies or other entities as appropriate, assisting community leaders when requested.
- Act as a resource by providing information and assistance regarding Marcellus shale drilling impacts.
- Represent MWA at community meetings, conferences and other events as required.
- Juris Doctor Degree with a certificate or experience in environmental and land use law.
- PA Bar admission preferred
- Ability to work daily from our Melcroft, PA office
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated, and independent worker
- Work well under pressure and take deadlines seriously
- Proven ability to work effectively and creatively with diverse people and groups
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including frequent evenings and weekends
- Reliable transportation and ability and willingness to travel when required
Compensation: Compensation is commensurate with experience and other nonprofit organizations of similar size, scope and mission.
Position available immediately.
Email submissions are preferred. Please submit a cover letter, resume with three references and a writing sample to Beverly Braverman at the Mountain Watershed Association (email@example.com). Please type “Community Advocate Resume” in the subject line of your email. Resumes will be accepted until the position has been filled.